Friday, October 30, 2009

Camarones al Ajillo 236

¡Qué sorpresa! Right before I left for work yesterday morning, Javier and I had discussed dinner. We decided not to make anything new since there were several leftover Mexican dishes in the refrigerator that we needed to eat. I suggested that we warm up the leftover SOPA TARASCA and serve it with a warm bolillo (Mexican French roll) on the side. I also suggested that we serve it with some cut-up avocado rather than more cheese - and that's where we left it.

I had a long day at work yesterday of classes, meetings, grading and an evening classroom observation of a colleague that I needed to do. By the time I got home I was completely exhausted and ready for my warmed-over Sopa Tarasca for dinner. I was so tired that I might have eaten it cold!

After driving my car into the garage and stepping out, I smelled something ...well, different... coming from the kitchen. As I came through the door I noticed that Javier had his sauté pan on the stove top, and in it were shrimp (camarones), peppers, onions and tons of chopped garlic. He had thrown the shrimp into the hot pan the minute he heard my car drive up so that they'd be freshly cooked and not overdone and tough.

We ate the CAMARONES AL AJILLO with some brown rice and warm corn tortillas, which I heated on the comal as Javier finished the shrimp. It was a simple meal, yet very elegant and thoughtful at the end of a hard day! The leftover soup will be our lunch today.

And, speaking of lunch, I've forgotten to mention our Mexican breakfasts. Three mornings this past week we've had Mexican hot chocolate and warm bolillos. One morning - and just to break the routine - we had eggs, frijoles and tortillas with a nice salsa on the side. Breakfast does seem to present a challenge each day, so we would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!