Saturday, August 21, 2010

Ensalada de atún - 89


A few days ago we had a tremendous hot spell here in Central Oregon, and there was NO WAY I was going to cook Mexican food.

We had recently purchased serrano peppers, tomatillos, tortillas de maíz, salsas, frijoles, aguacates, cebollas, cilantro, and several kinds of meat to get our cooking project going again, but cooking with any of these ingredients was not at the top of my list of "things to do" during record high temperatures.

As lunchtime came closer, I decided to take things out of the refrigerator - cold things - and combine them in a cold, Mexican-style tuna salad. The results were amazing!

I grew up in a household where "tuna salad" meant tuna mixed with Miracle Whip and sweet pickle relish - period. For my salad the only ingredient out of all of the above would be the tuna, and a white albacore tuna packed in water. After draining it and tossing it into a glass bowl, I diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, avocado, and cilantro on top. I squeezed a lime onto these ingredients, and had I mixed them at this point, I would have made a tuna ceviche. But I kept going and added 1 TB of mayonnaise and 2 TB of plain nonfat yogurt, and then some salt and pepper. Once it was mixed, I served it on lettuce leaves with some blue corn tortilla chips on the side. The picture might look like tuna and mayonnaise, but it was so much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!