Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pechuga de Pollo con Naranja - 207


Not all Mexican food has to be spicy. There are a number of dishes that don't count chiles as an ingredient.

After taking a day off from the Mexican Menu to eat up some leftovers out of our freezer, we returned to this project with one goal in mind: to remember and re-create a meal from our past that was not spicy. Remember - we are still recovering from that large amount of chile that we put on our fish filets the other night.

I remembered a chicken breast dish that I saw being made in Guadalajara back in 1974. The main ingredient is chicken breast, and it is cooked in a combination of olive oil, garlic, orange juice, white wine, mushrooms and cinnamon. I couldn't find a recipe for this anywhere, so made it as I remembered seeing it being done. I lucked out, and the results were excellent. Como el burro que tocó la flauta.

Javier browned the chicken breasts in a small amount of olive oil while I chopped garlic, washed the mushrooms, and then sliced them in two. He removed the chicken onto paper towels, and I began to sauté the garlic, then added the mushrooms, and sauteed them until they were slightly browned. Then came the organge juice, freshly squeezed from 3 oranges, and a bit of white wine. I put the chicken breasts back into the sauce, added a cinnamon stick, lightly salted (sea salt) the whole mixture, and covered. It simmered on low for another 1/2 hour. In the meantime, I also made some boiled potatoes and carrots.

We ate a simple dinner of boiled potatoes and carrots (which in Mexico might have been lightly fried in olive oil until browned, but definitely greasy) with the chicken breasts in the mushroom/orange/white wine/ cinnamon /garlic sauce. Maravilloso beyond belief!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!