Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sopa de vegetales - 198


Una sencilla sopita de vegetales...a simple little vegetable soup. That's all I could come up with today, but for good reason. I've been gaining weight. I have tried to lighten up the recipes and only eat half portions, but this whole project is just too much fun! It's not just the cooking and eating of Mexican food each day that is so captivating (and fattening); it's the going backwards into time - to old recipes, family favorites, people and places we'd almost forgotten about, and different ingredients and techniques. It's been fun, but seriously folks...I'm going to have to keep it light from now on.

SOPA DE VEGETALES is one of the easiest, economical and satisfying ideas for a meal IF you like vegetables. Yesterday I had carrots, corn, squash, tomatoes and a chayote on hand. I also had some cilantro and garlic to toss in with the vegetables and the homemade chicken broth that I had defrosted the night before. That was it! The only other vegetable I could have wished for would have been some cabbage. At any rate, the soup was perfect. We each ate two bowls, and weren't hungry for tortillas, rice, or garnish of any kind. Oh wait - I think Javier sprinkled some crumbled feta cheese on top of his bowl of steaming vegetables in broth.

There are two tricks to this soup. One is to sauté all of the vegetables (except for the tomato and cilantro) with the garlic in a little bit of olive oil before adding the broth, the diced tomatoes, and the cilantro. The other trick is to not add too much broth, just enough to cook the vegetales, but not so much that they're floating around. It should end up looking halfway between a soup and a side dish, but definitely one that gets served in a bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!