Thursday, December 31, 2009

Tortas de Pollo 192 y Promesas para el Año Nuevo


Hola ~ We're back in Oregon and ready to go with some new recipes and new ideas for the New Year. One of the things that I have to do is remember the original purpose of this blog: to attempt to eat Mexican food of one kind or another each day AND to keep it healthy as well as economical.

I thought we'd be eating Mexican food every day while in Texas, but I couldn't rally the troops. Every time we mentioned going out for Mexican, the family had other suggestions. Good ideas - but not Mexican food. (I found out that this is NOT because they don't like Mexican food, but because they prefer to eat it at home).

After returning to Portland, Javier and I bought ourselves a couple of TORTAS DE POLLO (pictured to the side) as we readied ourselves for the drive over the Cascades back to Bend. They were so delicious! TORTAS are large sandwiches made on teleras or bolillos. On a split telera roll the sandwich maker layered on tons of seasoned shredded chicken, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeños, sliced avocado, and crema mexicana. These sandwiches can be so large (as ours were) that they turned into lunch and dinner in one meal.

I am lista (ready) to start cooking delicious Mexican food again at home! I sat on the plane and made a list of things to prepare this week, then came home to Xmas gifts of Mexican seasonings, coffee, chocolates and a new cookbook. I can't wait to try new things and hope you will all try some of them, too ¡Prospero Año Nuevo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!