Sunday, April 4, 2010

Calabacitas rancheras - 115



The other day I got a real good deal on some zucchini squash, so I bought a little over a pound and brought it home to see what I could do with it that would fit into our Mexican Menu.

I had marked a zucchini recipe in my old Diana Kennedy cookbook and decided that now was the time to try it. I had all of the ingredients on hand - zucchini, white onions, garlic, and charred and peeled chili poblanos. I also had defrosted some boneless, skinless chicken thighs (muslos) and decided that we would grill them on the side.

CALABACITAS RANCHERAS is very similar to a dish that we used to eat all the time when I lived in Guadalajara, but the one we ate then also had fresh corn off the cob (elote) thrown into the mixture for good measure. This recipe was so incredibly simple, the hardest part being the chopping of so many zucchinis, an onion and three cloves of garlic. The charred and peeled chiles had been done weeks ago and frozen, so that made things easy.

As you can see, I served the CALABACITAS with a little queso fresco sprinkled on top, with the grilled muslos, and with some fresh and warmed corn tortillas. It was an excellent, easy meal - low on calories and high on flavor! The picture on the right shows the calabacitas as they were cooking, and the smaller picture to the left shows the dish we served at the table with the queso fresco crumbled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!