Friday, April 2, 2010

Tostadas vegetarianas - 118


It was time to clean out the refrigerator. Javier had cooked too many frijoles pintos a few days before when he made the excellent FAJITAS, and there was a variety of salsas, cheeses, and an almost overripe avocado that all needed using up. We decided to turn leftover night into VEGETARIAN TOSTADA night at our dinner table.

I know I've said this before, but TOSTADAS are one of my favorite Mexican meals. Just the other day Javier and I decided to lump people into categories, by their love of either an enchilada, a taco, a burrito or a tostada as their favorite meal. Javier definitely loves wrapping things up in flour tortillas and calling it a burrito; our daughter, Erica, loves enchiladas, especially cheese ones; and I am a tostada lover. I also have a friend in Colorado that awaits our visits every year so that we can make a meal of chicken tostadas at her dinner table. Where my other kids stand on their favorite Mexican food is a mystery. I'm going to poll them.

But back to the VEGETARIAN TOSTADAS...Javier mashed the remaining frijoles pintos, made a fresh guacamole (and the avocado turned out to be just fine and not overripe), and we used up two jars of commercial salsa in addition to some queso fresco that we had crumbled earlier in the week. We also diced some tomatoes, chopped some lettuce, and baked rather than fried our remaining corn tortillas. Dinner was delicious and today our refrigerator looks more organized!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!