Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Camarones a la Mexicana - 216


I think this meal, CAMARONES A LA MEXICANA, goes down as another WOW. Javier made the whole dinner last night, and all I had to do before eating was pour myself a glass of white wine. He found the recipe in another one of our (older) Mexican cookbooks, one that we don't use very often because it's large, beautiful, and we've been afraid of ruining it in the kitchen. He found the recipe he was looking for, opened the cookbook on the dining room table, and went back and forth between the kitchen and the table as he fixed our dinner last night. This is not hard to do as our little kitchen is about 3-4 feet (depending on where you're standing) away from the dining room table. And it isn't really a dining room. It's an eating area off the living room and next to the kitchen. It's large - almost as large as the living room - but I would have preferred to have had some of its sqaure footage added to my tiny kitchen.

But back to the CAMARONES A LA MEXICANA. First Javier made the sauce, which is a combination of tomatoes, garlic, onions, and thyme in a small amount of olive oil. Then he sauteed the shrimp lightly in butter before adding them to the sauce. The whole trick is to not overcook the shrimp. The cooking of the shrimp in butter he did right as I walked in the door so they would not be tough and/or rubbery. They were perfect!

The shrimp dish was served over rice, and we had guacamole as a salad on the side. Dinner was perfect, one I will remember as 1) delicious, and 2) one I didn't have to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!