Monday, November 16, 2009

Ceviche - 223


Remember a couple of weeks ago when we were supposed to attend a party, and I was going to take CEVICHE? That was the day I felt sick and ended up going to bed for the afternoon. I was probably tired, nothing more, as it never developed into anything serious.

Our host for that party - and the birthday girl, Renata - made a comment about her husband being "disappointed" about not having the CEVICHE at their party that day, so I told them we'd have them over for dinner and feature it on our menu.

Renata is a vegetarian, although she'll eat some seafood. So, I planned a shrimp CEVICHE, SOPA TARASCA (again), and a FLAN for dessert. All three of these recipes I know how to make with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold over my eyes. (I should take a picture of that today rather than the CEVICHE)

In case you're curious, CEVICHE is typically made from raw fish that is marinated - or cooked, as some say - in large amounts of lime (or other citrus fruit) juice. I usually use shrimp which has been slightly steamed, but is not overcooked and rubbery. To the shrimp and large amounts of lime juice I add finely diced tomato, white onion, a serrano pepper, and cilantro. I also add small amounts of olive oil, salt and pepper. Last night I included a finely diced half of an avocado left over from the day before and I wanted to use it up. CEVICHE is traditionally served upon tostada shells, but last night I served it with some blue corn tortilla chips.

Some people eat CEVICHE on a tostada as a meal, and some make it out of tuna or fake crabmeat. No worries there about whether or not the "raw" fish is marinating enough!

1 comment:

  1. SHRIMP CEVICHE ~

    1 cup cooked baby shrimp
    1 cup diced tomato
    1 cup diced avocado
    1/2 cup diced red onion
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1-2 diced serrano peppers (be careful here!)
    slat & pepper to taste
    juice of two limes
    1 tsp. olive oil

    Put everything together in a bowl and toss lightly before serving. Serve with tortilla chips or tostadas. ¡Buen Provecho!

    ReplyDelete

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!