Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pescado Empanizado - 226


Yesterday I had some fish defrosting for dinner. I'd purchased some Dover sole because it looked good and was inexpensive. In Spanish it's called lenguado.

Earlier that morning I had put some frijoles on to cook, and figured I'd make some kind of rice to go with dinner. My challenge was to do something with the fish. Something good.

Javier and I had been out for lunch yesterday, too, and had enjoyed some delicious tacos de carne asada, de carnitas, y de barbacoa. Between us we ate 5 tacos with some guacamole on the side and a Sidral (apple soda). Our total bill came to $7.00. This little neighborhood place, which is within walking distance from our house, will remain on our list of places to eat - unlike the place we ate at last week.

But back to the lenguado defrosting at home...I couldn't find a single recipe for a Mexican way to cook this fish in any of my cookbooks or online. Sure, there were recipes from Spain and Argentina, but I wanted to stay in Mexican mode last night.

So, what did I do? I breaded and fried the fish, made a salsa to go with it, and found an interesting new recipe for rice. Now, we usually do not eat fried foods - especially at home since the house will adopt the odor for a few days - so I don't know what I was thinking. Some of the best fried fish I've ever eaten has been in Mexico, so maybe I was hoping to duplicate something I'd eaten years ago in Manzanillo. My version turned out OK, but the new rice recipe, ARROZ COSTEÑO, was the winner last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!