Thursday, November 19, 2009

Desayuno mexicano - 220


Today I thought I'd show you what one (but just one) of our breakfasts looks like. This picture shows a little more than we usually eat, our typical desayuno mexicano being just the hot chocolate and the bolillo, and not the tamales. As you may remember, the tamales were sent home with me by one of my students, and my husband couldn't wait to heat them on the comal and eat them with his morning chocolate.

Our Mexican hot chocolate is usually the Abuelita or Ibarra brand, but from time to time we've had homemade as well as specialty-shop hot chocolate tablets given to us by friends who have traveled to Mexico. For anyone unfamiliar with Mexican hot chocolate, it is made from a tablet of chocolate which is made with ground cocoa, almonds, cinnamon, and vanilla. These tablets are made especially for melting into hot milk. Javier grew up poor, so he has always made his hot chocolate with half milk, half water. Fewer calories, I tell myself.

I like to dip my bolillo in my cup of hot chocolate while I'm eating it. Javier loves it with tamales or bolillos, but the he loves the outer corn husks slightly burned on the comal when the tamales are re-heated. (Some people heat them in a microwave, but Javier refuses. He swears that the burnt outer corn husk impart a special flavor).

Please note the pottery cups. My good friend Janet Matson is helping us re-do our set of dishes little by little. I have a small set of Ken Edwards pottery from Tonalá, México and she is helping us round out the set with mugs, plates, bowls, and serving pieces. I'll write more about the Ken Edwards pottery in future postings, but for now please note Janet's bowls and plates in other pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!