Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tamales - 228


Last night a student brought tamales to class for all of us to enjoy. I knew he was going to bring them, so I'd prepared a Power Point lecture on the history of some typical Mexican ingredients (corn, avocados, tomatoes, chocolate, etc) that we could watch while we ate the tamales his mother had made for the class. His offer to bring the tamales came out of the blue, so we graciously accepted, this being a Culture and Conversation class. Another student brought pico de gallo (a tomato, onion, serrano pepper and cilantro fresh salsa), and another brought empanadas for dessert. I arrived with horchata, the refreshing rice drink famous throughout Mexico but with roots in the Middle East and Spain.

Earlier in the day I reminded Javier not to bother with dinner and that I would try and bring him a tamale if there were any leftovers. At the end of class I was given 10 to bring home, and we froze 5 of them that were wrapped tightly in foil and plastic, and started heating 2-3 for Javier's dinner. I made a quick little sauce to go over them while he rubbed his hands together waiting to eat.

Javier thought they were very good, very similar to something he would be served at home in Mexico. They weren't greasy and had just the right amount (small) of the pork filling that is fairly traditional in homemade tamales. I am including a picture of the tamales as he saw them right before sitting down to eat! (He may have one for breakfast this morning, but without the sauce)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!