Saturday, March 13, 2010

Enchiladas de mole - 127



It's not like we sit around and just decide to make mole one day. We probably wouldn't have all of the ingredients on hand, and even if we did, I'd probably be too busy to just stop everything and make mole there was nothing else in the house to eat, or someone got a sudden craving for the stuff.
No, we usually fix mole - and large quantities of it - around a special occasion, such as a birthday, or the holidays. I have fixed mole on occasion for my Spanish or history classes, but even that takes quite a bit of planning and a running start. Tonight's dinner - ENCHILADAS DE MOLE - was to be an experiment, and an easy one. We bought a jar of ready-made mole from Whole Foods, and we wanted to see how it tasted using a minimum amount of our effort and ingredients. We had made some good caldo de pollo earlier in the day, and had thrown in a few extra chicken breasts to use with tonight's dinner experiment.

It was quite easy to fix. I shredded the chicken breast meat and reheated it at the same time I heated the mole from a jar in a small skillet. I used the small skillet rather than a saucepan so that I could dip tortillas into the sauce before rolling the chicken into the inside of the enchilada. I warmed 7 corn tortillas in the microwave, dipped them one by one into the heated mole sauce from Whole Foods, filled them with tortilla and a bit of shredded queso fresco and then lined them up in a baking dish to keep warm while I whipped up some fresh guacamole to go with our dinner.

Simple, good, and quick - but not the best mole I'd ever tasted. A bit on the sweet side for me. This particular brand (or variety - whatever you call it) had been made with figs, which were the sweetener. I don't know if it was the figs or something else that was a bit on the sweet side, but it was a bit much for me. Not inedible and not even bad, but not the way I like my mole!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!