Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lomo de puerco - 133


Yesterday we ate too much starch...healthy buckwheat and granola pancakes in the morning at a well-known local place; tamales for lunch; a biscotti in the afternoon with our coffee as we were out grocery shopping, and; bolillos in the evening with the queso fundido that we served with dinner. Today, we said to one another, we're all about protein and vegetables, no starch.

Good idea until I had to make 3 dozen arepas (a Venezuelan corn cake) for my classes tomorrow. We had to sample a few of them to make sure that they were OK for my students. They're not exactly my "cup of tea" but they're authentic and I'm sure the students will love them with the different toppings I've selected - dulce de leche, mermelada de guava, y crema fresca.

Dinner? We had just bought two small pork tenderloins, and Javier rubbed them with a seasoning mix that consisted of chile, comino, sal y ajo. We grilled the lomos along with some fresh green beans, seasoned both the green beans (ejotes verdes) and the lomo with a tiny amount of olive oil and lime juice - and that was it - nuestra cena / our dinner! Simple, but it hit the spot and we've got some tremendous leftovers for mañana.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!