Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lenguado con espinacas - 136


Ok, so this is a recipe straight out of a cookbook, and one I wouldn't think of as Mexican until I ate it and tasted the chiles in the filling and the sauce. It was very good and I wish I'd made more!

LENGUADO CON ESPINACAS - Filet of sole with spinach - was a perfect meal for a Friday during Lent. After laying the fish filets out on paper towels to soak up excess moisture, I lightly salted and peppered them. I made the relleno (filling or stuffing) from chopped spinach, finely diced white onion, a finely diced chile serrano,grated cotija cheese, salt and pepper to taste (although you don't need much since the queso cotija is naturally salty) and a little olive oil to bind it all together. Before filling the filets, I put two of them together, overlapping them a bit where the relleno was spread over them. Then I rolled them up and placed them in a baking dish with the seam side down.

(Sorry you can't see the spinach filling in this picture, but it's there).

The sauce was a rather traditional looking white sauce with lots of butter, so I made a few changes and used less butter, more skim milk, and crushed red pepper. It was good, but Javier commented that he might have preferred just a nice cream sauce because the filet filling was already spicy. (And he thought my sauce looked a bit like Thai peanut sauce). We ate the LENGUADO CON ESPINACAS with some brown rice on the side.

We will repeat this dish sometime next month since we still have loads of chopped spinach (espinacas) from our garden in the freezer and will work on the sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Parece vomitada sobre dos calcetines enrrollados

    ReplyDelete

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!