Sunday, January 3, 2010

Arroz y Frijoles - 188



Here's a dinner that both vegetarians and meat lovers can enjoy from time to time ~

What to make when you just don't want to eat meat, when you just don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and when you're hungry for something filling? ARROZ Y FRIJOLES, por supuesto. This is one of the simplest and most satisfying Mexican meals around, and every time we have it for dinner I ask myself why we don't eat this way more often.

The other day I had cooked up a whole mess of frijoles pintos for the FRIJOLES CHARROS recipe I made and posted online, so I still had a lot of beans (without meat) leftover. As I heated them, I seasoned them with salt and some homemade salsa. This gives them a warmer color and they taste better, too. While we played a couple of games of Mexican Train Dominoes, I cooked some brown rice, but any kind of rice you like will do.

We always eat our ARROZ Y FRIJOLES con guacamole, tortillas de maíz, y salsa. Because I am (once again) trying to lose weight, I have limited myself to two tortillas per day. Last night I had them with my dinner, making tacos out of the frijoles, arroz, y guacamole. I had to skip the salsa because I'd had an upset stomach all day, but whatever was in the rest of the meal seemed to have the opposite effect. Right after eating, I felt better - better than I'd felt all day.

I am also posting a picture of some bottled salsa called Poblana I received a few weeks ago for my birthday. It is bottled in Tucson, AZ and has chiles habañeros listed as the first ingredient. Javier had it on his tacos (also made with frijoles, arroz y guacamole) and said it was good, although he prefers salsas made without vinegar. He also commented on how delicious the meal was despite its simplicity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!