Thursday, January 14, 2010

Caldo de mariscos - 177


Hola everyone...I'm running a little behind as I was under the weather for a few days and couldn't bring myself to think about food - much less write about it.

But, the night before the chills and fever began, we made a wonderful seafood soup known simply as CALDO DE MARISCOS. It's a rich seafood broth with garlic, onions, tomatoes, squash and carrots. I also added some hot peppers (see CALDO MICHI back in November) and added some cilantro towards the end when I added the mixed mariscos.

Mariscos
is the general term for seafood. Rather than running around from seafood counter to seafood counter in a number of different grocery stores, I was able to buy a small bag of shellfish at our local Trader Joe's. It was a mixture of scallops, shrimp and squid. I add them right at the end so that they don't shrivel up too much, and don't lose their flavor.

It's traditional to serve a CALDO DE MARISCOS with arroz y tortillas, but since we'd already had rice a time or two in the previous week, we just went for the soup. Javier had tortillas, but I had seconds! El caldo fue muy sabroso y quedé satisfecha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!