Sunday, January 31, 2010

Huevos con Chorizo - 162


So we've been waiting and waiting to eat HUEVOS CON CHORIZO ever since we started this project, but I was holding fast to the idea that I would NOT cook fatty old chorizo made with pork and would look all over for a chicken or turkey variety. I finally found some fresh, chicken chorizo a week or two ago at Whole Foods, and today we fixed it for breakfast with scrambled eggs and corn tortillas.

Chorizo can be one of two things: the spicy soft variety which usually comes from Mexico (or is inspired by a recipe from Mexico) and yields a lot of grease when fried, or the hard-sausage variety from Spain which more closely resembles a small salami and can be used in soups, stews, and in paellas. It is also loaded with fat, but more about that later...maybe another blog.

I am so glad that I waited. When I cooked up the chicken chorizo this morning, it didn't let off an ounce of fat. I actually had to spray the skillet a little so the scrambled eggs wouldn't stick to the pan when I put them in to mix them together with the now cooked pieces of chorizo. The lack of any visible grease or fat made me wonder if it was any good, but it was delicioso.

The next time I see this chicken chorizo at Whole Foods (because they don't make it on a regular basis) I'm going to by several links and keep them handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!