Sunday, January 3, 2010

Omelet de mariscos - 187


This morning we wanted something different, slightly "exotic." and high in protein for breakfast. I'm headed to the gym in a few moments, so I wanted a big Mexican desayuno (breakfast) that wouldn't wear off ten minutes into my workout.

In the refrigerator, I found some crabmeat and shrimp left over from dinner on New Year's Eve, and I decided to use them in an egg-based dish served with some new tortillas that we bought at Whole Foods the other day. They are called "The Original 100% Flourless Ezekiel 4:9 New Mexico Style Sprouted Grain Tortillas." Try saying that quickly three times!

To go with the omelette and newfangled tortilla desayuno, I also decided to serve oranges and some homemade pico de gallo salsa. All pico de gallo salsas are variations on a theme of tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, and cilantro with have been coarsely chopped and are then served on the side of a meal.

I made a thick 3-egg omelette then added a small amount (2 T) of crumbled queso. Once the cheese started to melt and stick to the egg, I added the seafood, and proceeded to fold over my omelette. As it cooked I warmed up the new tortillas on the comal, then served everything together on a plate as pictured. The omelette was delicious, but those new tortillas get hard as you heat them. If you don't heat them enough, I'm sorry to say that they look like they're undercooked. (The one in the picture looks like it was made from the same stuff they use to make granite kitchen countertops). I'm sure we'll get used to them gradually, but I'm still a huge fan of good tortillas de maíz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!