Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mole verde - 164



I still have tons of turkey in the freezer from last November. We went to a potluck dinner on Thanksgiving, but still cooked a turkey of our own here at home just so we could enjoy the leftovers later. I was also thinking ahead as there are many delicious Mexican meals that are centered around turkey. Mole - any kind of mole - is the one that first comes to mind.

In my opinion MOLE VERDE is not a true mole because it doesn't involve the complicated sophistication of multiple ingredients and cooking techniques. There is no grinding or chopping involved in the process, and a minimal amount of the toasting of seeds and a few nuts (pumpkin and peanuts) go into the process. Thickened with a stale corn tortilla, it can have the consistency of the darker red, brown and black moles.

Back to the leftover turkey...I took all of it out of the freezer yesterday and began some weekend cooking by making broth out of some of the parts. I chose the dark meat for last night's dinner and reserved most of the white meat for another meal you'll read about in a few days. Once I had my turkey broth, I was ready to begin.

GREEN MOLE is the combination of toasted pepitas de calabaza (pumpkin seeds) and peanuts; cooked tomatillos and chiles serranos, cilantro, garlic and peppercorns. To this mixture of ingredients which have now been blended, I added the stale corn tortilla and some of the turkey broth and continued blending it all into a smooth sauce before adding a pinch of salt. This was poured over the re-heated cooked turkey and served over brown rice and with corn tortillas on the side. It might sound complicated, but with the turkey already cooked, it only took me about an hour from start (making the broth) to finish (blending the ingredients) while the brown rice cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!