Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Carne adobada - 166


I know what it looks like, but it's NOT pork chops in barbecue sauce! Tonight's dinner was something we ate years ago on a trip to New Mexico - CARNE ADOBADA - and it was well worth the wait to eat it again tonight so many years later.

Last week we bought some beautiful boneless pork chops (chuletas de puerco). Some people say that the bone gives meat more flavor, especially when it's grilled, and I would normally agree. However, the price on these boneless chops was actually less than the bone-in variety, so we decided to give them a try knowing that they might be dry and / or tasteless.

Javier used a recipe for the adobo paste from an old cookbook. It is made from a combination of dried red chiles (some of the same varieties that are used for mole), spices and vinegar. The recipe asks you to marinate the meat for 1-3 days, but for shorter periods of time "if that's all the time you have." Following the marinating process, the chops are grilled.

I was SO worried about dry, flavorless chops, but I was surprised to eat some of the best boneless pork chops I'd ever eaten tonight! They were juicy on the inside and delicious with the adobo paste on the outside. No complaints from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!