Saturday, January 2, 2010

Carne deshebrada / Shredded beef - 189


The other day we bought a small beef roast at Whole Foods, but had no idea what we were going to do with it when we bought it. I decided to try out a new recipe from a new Mexican cookbook that my friend Susan sent me for my birthday in November. It looked relatively easy to fix, but we weren't sure how we'd serve it....

SHREDDED BEEF TACOS / Tacos de carne deshebrada came to mind as we looked through the pictures in the cookbook. We had all of the ingredients - shredded cabbage, salsa, avocado and corn tortillas to make unos tacos muy sabrosos. It seemed like a no-brainer. But, I decided to make one major change in the recipe, which I now regret. I cooked the beef roast with the seasonings, onions and carrots in my crock pot rather than the oven. Once it was finished and we were eating the tacos, Javier commented that it was tasty, but over-cooked. He was right. I thought it could have been más picante.

Changing the subject a bit, for Christmas my daughter Erica gave me a boxed gift set of Mexican spices from a shop called Savory Spice Shop in Denver, CO. We have tried 4-5 of them since returning, and they all seem to be high quality. The Mexican gift set was packed very attractively, and forgive me, Erica, but I checked the price on this item and found it to be very reasonable. Therefore, I would like to pass along their web address so that my readers can check it out:

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/giftshop/mexican.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!