Monday, February 1, 2010

White Bean Chili with Turkey - 161


The power of suggestion is an amazing thing. Last week I wrote to a friend to tell her about the vegetarian chili that I was making for dinner. She wrote back to say that while she had never had vegetarian chili before, she did enjoy making WHITE BEAN CHILI from time to time.

It had been years since I'd even thought about WHITE BEAN CHILI, much less eaten it anywhere. Her simple comment stuck in my head until I got all of that turkey out of the freezer last week and was looking at ways to fix it into our Mexican Menu 240.

You know - sabes - I didn't even have a recipe. I just made it the way I remembered it and it turned out great. I soaked the white beans overnight, and then rinsed them the next morning before putting them in the bottom of the crock pot with a few cloves of garlic (ajo) and some lowfat chicken broth (caldo de pollo). When the beans were fairly tender, I added some chopped white onion (cebolla), chopped celery (apio), 1 can of chopped green chiles, and about 2 cups of diced turkey. (Pavo is the standard term for turkey, but you often hear the word guajolote used in Mexico. It is an indigenous word for the big bird)

Before serving the WHITE BEAN CHILI, Javier sampled a little and found that it wasn't spicy enough. He diced a serrano chile into the mixture about 1/2 hour before serving, but as you can see from the picture, it doesn't show up. It did the trick, though, and spiced up the chili.

Muchas gracias Mindy - the suggestion was terrific!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!