Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chile relleno de mariscos - 141


Credit where credit is due. This was one of the most delicious meals I've ever eaten, but I didn't make it. Still recovering from last week's bout of bronchitis (bronquitis en español) I just wasn't up to cooking dinner last night, but after a week of sopas, ensaladas y arroz I was ready to eat something GOOD.

I went across the street to a local place called El Rodeo. They have an extensive menu, and it was hard to choose something to eat, but not just because of the variety. I found most of the items on the menu very expensive for Mexican dishes I can produce at home for a fraction of the cost AND know what all of the ingredients are. So, I was just about to give up when I spotted the CHILE RELLENO DE MARISCOS in the a la carta section of the menu. $7.95!

I have to say that it was worth every penny. It was large, full of the seafood promised on the menu, and the sauce was delicious - although I'm quite sure it was fattening because it was similar to a spicy Alfredo-type sauce with peppers and green onions thrown in for good measure. The sauce could have doubled as a queso dip of some kind, and maybe it does. But, for someone hungry for Mexican food, and not wanting rice, beans and bland red sauce all over something, it was perfect.

One other thing: the staff at the restaurant could not have been more cordial. After one man explained what the CHILE was to me, then went back to the kitchen to order it, another one came to the front desk and visited with me in Spanish while they finished the order. Another woman came up front and joined the conversation, and finally the original order-taker (he may have been the owner or manager) arrived with my CHILE RELLENO DE MARISCOS. Since Javier wasn't here to enjoy this meal with me, it is one I will be attempting on my own in the near future and with a low-calorie sauce. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!