Sunday, February 7, 2010

Nachos - 155


I learned something important this evening - NACHOS need to be naughty.

I spent lots of time yesterday and today coming up with a way to make healthy NACHOS and after all of the effort, they were just so-so. They weren't bad, but I felt like I had to push myself to go back for seconds.

We baked some old tortillas into chips and then salted them lightly. We made our own beans without any fats. We bought lowfat cheese, and decided to skip the sour cream on the top. Javier made some good guacamole to go on top, but without the salty chips and all of the usual "goo" that goes on NACHOS, it just didn't add up to delicioso.

Today is SuperBowl Sunday. We are not big football fans, but we have a family tradition of eating SuperBowl party food on these days. So, several days ago I decided I'd make NACHOS and try giving them a healthy twist. And, do you know where the healthy twist should have been? Earlier in the day, or earlier in the week. I should have saved myself calories for the real deal: super-delicious salty chips smothered in chili, cheese, tomatoes, onions, and salsa. Whatever it is you're supposed to ladle over the chips, including sour cream and guacamole.

Ours were OK, but just barely. They were lacking the naughty element. This is one of those nights when we say we tried, but let's get back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!