Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sopa de Pollo con Vegetales - 160


Hard to believe that after 80 meals we're 1/3 of our way towards our goal of eating 240 Mexican meals before heading to Argentina in June. Yikes - I just thought of something. If we don't make our goal, then I'll be hunting for chiles y chorizos in Argentina markets to finish off this project.

Actually, last year while I was there I fixed a pretty mean guacamole for a small group. We were only able to find some Doritos brand tortilla chips in the closest supermarket, but all the same, the guacamole turned out great. No problems finding avocados (which they call paltas in Argentina) or chiles serranos y cilantro. As a side note, the lady I was staying with had a new bottle of tequila that she was anxious to open and try, so I gave her a little lesson in drinking shots with salt and limes.

But seriously folks...where were we? Last night's dinner of SOPA DE POLLO CON VEGETALES was perfect because we are continuing to experience very cold temperatures, and I came home from work feeling chilled. It was made with some frozen chicken stock and shredded chicken that we had on hand plus a variety of vegetales - carrots, corn, celery, zucchini, cabbage and canned tomatoes.

As with other soups we make, we first cut a chile chipotle into the bottom of the soup bowl, and then ladle the soup on top. We serve the bowls with chopped avocado and a squeeze (or two) of lime juice. Javier had some heated corn tortillas, but I just went for a big bowl of soup. I have to say...some of the Mexican soups are the greatest - las mejores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!