Wednesday, February 3, 2010

¡Quesadillas! - 159


As you've noticed from our blog, we have been eating LOTS of chicken, turkey and pork, and occasionally we've done some things with seafood. Lately I'd been feeling like I just wanted to come home from work and eat something simple.

We decided to have some simple QUESADILLAS tonight. My first QUESADILLAS years ago were the fried ones we'd eat in Guadalajara for late evening snacks. They consisted of corn tortillas, white cheese, and were fried in vegetable oil. We'd add whatever kind of salsa was handy - be it a fresh one leftover from the afternoon meal or a bottled one because there was nothing else available. These QUESADILLAS were delicious, but we won't even get into the calorie count.

My next round of QUESADILLAS were the ones that I could make in some of the first microwave ovens that came out. I'd take two flour tortillas, and in between them I'd lay several pieces of very thinly sliced cheddar cheese. I'd sprinkle the cheese with bottled Rosarita taco sauce because that's what was available at the time in the home I lived in. Then I'd microwave the whole deal until the cheese was melted, the tortillas were soft, and the sauce was runny. I'd cut it up like a pizza on a cutting board, and that was lunch - almost every day.

Years later, and while working in a Mexican restaurant, I discovered that it was entirely possible to make QUESADILLAS that were cooked on a grill with several kinds of cheese; that you could make them with either flour or corn tortillas; and they could be garnished on the side with salsa, guacamole and sour cream. Now, I love them with grilled chicken, steak, mushrooms, or spinach - or all of the aforementioned - but I do not like dipping them into or spreading them with sour cream. No way José.

Tonight's QUESADILLAS were on whole wheat, whole grain tortillas with modest amounts of cheese, but lots of a leftover mango salsa and fresh guacamole. They were ... ¡PERFECTAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!