Friday, February 26, 2010

Taquitos de pollo - 142


Ya estoy mejor y estoy cocinando de nuevo...Now I'm better and I'm cooking again! Sorry for the lack of posts in the past couple of days, but I've been sick with bronchitis and haven't done much in the kitchen besides heating leftovers, making coffee and tea, and drinking lots of water with my daily round of medication...

Today I felt a lot better, so I decided to do something with the tortillas and some chicken that I had cooked up earlier in the week. TAQUITOS DE POLLO are very easy to make, especially if you are able to live with ones that aren't fried until crispy and that are browned in a hot skillet coated with olive oil spray.

Years ago I used to cook chicken, shred it, and season it with lots of red salsa (La Tamazula), salt and pepper before placing the shredded meat into the center of a corn tortilla, which I rolled tight and then fried in vegetable oil. At first I used toothpicks to secure the tightly rolled tortillas, but later I would do one taquito at a time and hold it closed with tongs while it fried.

Now that we've moved away from fried foods, I've gone to a system of warming the corn tortillas so that they roll nicely around the same kind of chicken filling, and then I place them into a small hot skillet which has been sprayed with olive oil spray. The small skillet is important because that way the taquitos can be placed together tightly like sardines in a can and not roll open while they're browning. It's also easy to roll them over all at the same time.

Once the taquitos are browned and slightly crispy (although never quite as much as they were when they were fried - lo siento) they should be served hot with an avocado sauce. This sauce is different from guacamole in that it is not just mashed avocados, but rather avocados mashed with either sour cream, mayonnaise, or crema mexicana in addition to seasonings. Tonight I mixed my smoothly mashed avocados with some nonfat yogurt, chopped chives, crushed red pepper, lime juice and some salt. It was muy deliciosa with the TAQUITOS DE POLLO, and I don't have to feel guilt about too many calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!