Monday, February 15, 2010

Tostadas de Atún - 148


LAS TOSTADAS DE ATÚN ~ una cena super-sencilla!

Don't ask me why...this evening we decided to make something that we don't normally eat in the Winter, and usually reserve for our trips to México when we're economizing. TOSTADAS DE ATÚN could be appetizers, or a lunch dish, but dinner???

I think the heavier dishes over the weekend did me in, and I came home from work thinking of something lighter. Javier had made some tostadas out of some older tortillas, and I had been thinking of ways to fix them with beans, chicken, guacamole, salsa - all of the usual suspects. De repente - suddenly - I remembered all of the wonderful tostada meals we'd eaten in México when the kids were younger and we were watching our budget on family road trips, staying with Javier's family, and saving our money for other things. One of my favorite tostadas came to mind, the one made with tuna.

Keeping it low calorie is not hard if you eliminate over half of the mayonnaise. I chopped tomatoes, onions, avocado, celery, and a chile serrano before adding the tuna and mixing it all together with some lime juice, salt, pepper, 1 T of mayonnaise, and 2 T of nonfat plain yogurt. I then mounded the ensalada de atún onto the fresh tostadas, chopped some lettuce, and garnished them with the lettuce and a very small amount of queso fresco. I wish I'd had some fresh cilantro for garnish, but there was none to be found this evening in the refrigerator.

Maravillosas they were! A simply perfect, economical meal on a Monday evening.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robin! They sure look maravillosas. And you know what? It's great because tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and is an option for those who are looking for something meat-free to eat.

    Hugs for you,

    Doña Masita

    ReplyDelete

Sign off

Remember: if you want the recipes for anything written in CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know!